IBS Schools Broadband
We provide a specialist educational Broadband Service, delivering fast connections, robust web filtering and network protection, anti-virus, email spam filtering and comprehensive support.
Our options are varied enough to meet the needs of all school customers, regardless of school size and their degree of dependence on cloud services.
Our consultants can discuss your future strategy with you and help you decide the best solution to meet the needs of your school.
Choosing your connection
We partner with the leading wholesale connectivity providers to offer you the best possible connection speed at the best possible price. Your options will depend on availability within your area.
Our main products include:
FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)
- 80/20 FTTC or 'Superfast Broadband', uses fibre optic to help increase the speed of your broadband connection. The fibre links the telephone exchange or distribution point to the street cabinets. Your school is then connected from the street cabinet to provide your broadband connectivity.
- The maximum speed is 80Mbps download and 20Mbps upload, but this is dependent on your distance from the exchange/cabinet and the demands on the bandwidth from other users in your area.
EoFTTC (Ethernet over FTTC)
- We recommend an EoFTTC connection for primary schools where it is available.
- EoFTTC is the next generation on from standard FTTC connections. It provides your school with a fast connection with an uncontended line. This gives you a minimum guaranteed speed which you can rely on, even at peak times and regardless of how many people are using the internet in your locality.
- A dedicated fibre connection is a leased line which gives you your own fibre connection. Most secondary schools and some larger middles and primaries are now opting for this type of connectivity, especially those delivering most of their school curriculum and administrative functions through the cloud.
- Most fibre connections that we install are 100 Mbps but we can also provide quotes for greater bandwidth if required. Fibre connections give you the same upload speed as download speed and are subject to their own connectivity SLA.
- There are a few schools where FTTC is not yet available. In these schools we can run your broadband over an ADSL2+ connection.
- ADSL2+ runs over a standard BT telephone line and is available from nearly all BT exchanges across the country.
- The maximum download speed is 24Mbps and upload 2.5Mbps. The further away from the telephone exchange, the slower the speed becomes.
Excess construction charges
- All connections may be subject to excess construction charges. If these apply to your school then you will be notified in advance and will have the option to cancel your Agreement at that point.
Additional resilience connection
- Some schools are considering adding an additional resilience connection, especially if they are delivering most of their curriculum and administrative functions through the cloud. Please let us know if this is an additional requirement for you.
e-Safety and Filtering
To ensure compliance against the Department for Education's statutory requirements in "Keeping Children Safe in Education", we provide Smoothwall web filtering. Your contract includes your own Smoothwall device. IBS Schools apply and manage the most comprehensive sets of education specific filters and we subscribe to the Home Office Terrorism Block List, as well as the Internet Watch Foundation URL and image block list. Our solution also allows larger schools and schools with their own technical teams to further customise their school's filtering.
The IBS Schools Broadband Service provides a robust security firewall platform, delivered through the Smoothwall platform. This ensures incoming traffic to your network is safe before it enters your school, keeping your network running smoothly.
Our solution includes the cloud-based Sophos endpoint anti-virus software for each device in your school. This gives you additional benefits:
- You can easily report on all aspects of Sophos security.
- It is easy for you to see your whole network’s anti-virus status.
- The IBS Schools team monitor your network pro-actively.
Email spam filtering
The IBS Schools Broadband Service includes enterprise grade spam detection to provide spam filtering to protect both staff and students. We implement inbound spam filtering to protect you from malicious attachments and suspicious emails as well as outbound filtering. We provide this solution through secure cloud technologies to improve your school's email reliability and security.
As part of your contract you will receive continued support for the whole service from our experienced Broadband Team. Contact is through our Service Desk number and email.
Other considerations: Wi-Fi
As well as securing the best connectivity that you can, you also need to ensure that your internal network, both wired and wireless is up to date to maximise the performance of the connectivity you have invested in. IBS Schools have a team of network consultants and installers and we can provide consultancy, quotes and solutions to meet your needs.